Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Explaining it all on this blog

In 2020, during the COVID-19 lock-down, I remembered I created this blog out of sheer boredom and a desire to bring my old notebook scribbles to the virtual world. However, I quickly became overwhelmed by the task of designing the necessary templates for the characters, and ultimately abandoned the project. As lock-downs lifted and life began to return to some semblance of normalcy in 2021, I rediscovered my love for this game and realized that I had a wealth of material still from the past and from my short-lived "GOTHAM LEGENDS"  game on my YouTube channel. Among these treasures are countless write-ups, as well as my personal creation, Nightfall Bay, a custom city of my own design.

Why settle for DC Heroes Second or Third Edition when you can play Batman the Roleplaying Game? 

As the game master, I loved the simplicity and freedom to customize that the Batman game offered. I'd mix in elements from other editions or create my own rules on the fly, because who needs explanations when you're the GM?

While the game was primarily set in Gotham and the DC universe, I wanted to add my own flavor by inventing cities and landmarks to explore. I wasn't great at maps, but I had rough sketches and notes to help me along.

My write-ups on this blog will come from my trusty notebooks and notes in OneNote. When I needed inspiration, I would print out artwork and images from the web and incorporate them into my notes. Sometimes, a picture would spark an idea for a character or plotline.

As I revisit my old notes, I'm using AI art software to finally bring my characters to life visually. In the past, I used artwork I found on the web or AOL back in the day, but I'm replacing those images with AI-generated art to avoid any issues.

So join me in the GOTHAM DATABASE, a blog dedicated to Mayfair Games' Batman the Roleplaying Game. Let's bring our imaginations to life in the streets of Gotham.

Update: as of July 2023, this blog focus has shifted from just RPG gaming, to include comic reviews, podcasting and whatever else is on my mind about DC.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment